The fRI Business Strategy for 2012-2017 is intended to guide decision-making within the organization for the five year period ending in 2017. There are 9 goals in this cycle's business strategy:
- Partnerships: Nurture and expand fRI partnerships.
- Geographic scope: Expand the fRI geographic scope to encompass partner interests as appropriate for each program.
- Business portfolio: Review and expand the fRI business portfolio scope and integration based on partner priorities.
- Science excellence: Ensure research is non-partisan and meets high standards for quality, relevance, and recognition.
- Knowledge transfer: Facilitate the adoption of fRI knowledge, tools, and technology into land and resource management practice.
- Partner outreach and support: Contribute to the success of fRI partners.
- Land and resource management: Contribute to improved land and resource management in Alberta and beyond.
- Reporting: Report to fRI partners and audiences on achievements and progress.
- Resources: Expand fRI resources and investment.